Day Trip from Rome to Pompeii and Sorrento
- Learn the fascinating history of the once prosperous Roman city of Pompeii on a small group tour of maximum 15 people
- Discover the city as it was 2,000 years ago with the use of virtual reality technology
- Walk the streets of Ancient Pompeii and take in scenes from a civilisation frozen in time for nearly 2,000 years
- Visit the beautiful seaside town of Sorrento and enjoy the scenic views, the picturesque architecture and the region's authentic Neapolitan pizza
Meet your driver at a convenient meeting point in the heart of Rome. Once seated comfortably, you'll depart for Pompeii, the once prosperous Roman city which met its fate in 79 AD, when Mt. Vesuvius erupted and the entire surrounding area and population were engulfed with lava and covered in ash.
Once in Pompeii, you'll meet your expert archaeologist guide and you'll be given a VR visor; it will place you inside the ancient city before the devastating volcanic eruption, giving you the chance to toogle back and forth between past and present. Once you've experienced virtual Pompeii as it was in ancient times, you'll get to explore Pompeii as it looks today.
What you will see now is a city frozen in time. Your guide will walk you down the long and ancient streets, long the perfectly conserved bakeries, shops, stalls, private and communal residences, public baths and brothels remains. You'll see the amazing plaster casts of the unfortunate Pompeiians who were immortalized on that tragic day.
Once the guided tour of Pompeii is over, you'll make your way to Sorrento, an exceptionally beautiful seaside town known as "the Gateway to the Amalfi Coast". Enjoy once-in-a-lifetime views of the Tyrrhenian Sea and picture perfect towns nestled into steep white limestone cliffs. Along the way, you'll stop at the area's most historic pizzeria, where Giggino and his family have been baking mouthwatering pizza "by the meter" in a wood-fired oven for more than 100 years.
In Sorrento you'll have some free time to stop at one of the many botteghe and sample a glass of Limoncello, a world-renowned local liquor made by artisans from the organic lemons, which can only be harvested in this region. You can also purchase a bottle or two to take home (or have it shipped) before enjoying a bite to eat and enough free time to wander around the shops and scenic overlooks.
As your afternoon comes to an end, you'll join your driver once again and head back to Rome.
- Roundtrip transport in a luxury Mercedes van
- Onboard wifi and bottled water
- Guided walking tour of Pompeii
- Lunch at the birthplace of Neapolitan pizza
Piazza della Repubblica, 10, 00185 Roma RM, Italy
In front of "Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri", the big church in Piazza della Repubblica facing the central fountain
- We are unable to accommodate late arrivals on walking tours. No refunds will be given if you fail to arrive at our tour meeting point by the scheduled departure time. Where available, a later tour may be scheduled and a rebooking fee will be incurred
- All cancellation requests must be received in writing
- Changes to tours will be allowed, subject to availability. For changes with less than 24 hours notice, rebooking fees may apply
- Group tours are not wheelchair accessible
- Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at 7.30 am
- Meeting time: 7:15 am
The Roman Holiday Tour departs from Piazza del Popolo, one of the most famous piazzas in Rome, in th...
Walk through history on a guided visit to the Colosseum, the main symbol of the ancient Roman times,...
You have not truly seen Rome until you have experienced it at night! The monuments are completely tr...
Discover Rome's immense history and culture in a brand new way: Vox City Guide is a state-of-the-art...
Begin the tour in the city center; get your bikes, meet your professional guide and start riding aro...
Saturday 28 September 2019 Minù presents DREAMERS Dengue Dengue Dengue Germano Ventura Dreaming is n...