Skip-the-line to Castel Sant'Angelo and the Tomb of Hadrian small group tour
- Enjoy skip-the-line access to Castel Sant'Angelo
- Experience an unique and intimate guided tour
- Admire Pope Clement VII’s bathroom decorated by Raphael’s frescoes
- Climb to the buildings terraces for stunning views of the Rome
This tour offers an exclusive and unique intimate guided experience that will take you away from the crowds and carry you into the Roman age right up to the 19th century! You will learn about powerful emperors, intriguing popes, mad rushes, executions and much more!
Meet your guide in front of the entrance to the Castel Sant’Angelo, next to the bridge, and set off on a 2-hours guided tour. You’ll learn about all the sculptures located on the Ponte Sant’Angelo that crosses the city’s main river, the Tiber.
After discovering the history of the bridge and its many beautiful statues, with your guide you will enter skipping the queues to Castel Sant'Angelo and admire the historical development of this important place which has been first a Roman tomb. Followed by a papal residence, fortress, prison, and execution ground, and currently a museum offering one of the most amazing views over the city, its roofs and domes.
The fortress was originally commissioned by the Roman Emperor Hadrian as a burial chamber for his family and for himself. During the tour, you’ll visit several rooms used by the popes, including Pope Clement VII’s bathroom decorated by Raphael’s frescoes.
But beyond the amazing decorations, golden stuccos, sparkling marble floors, the castle hides a dark heart: the dreadful prisons, the most terrible one was inserted in a vent over the elicoidal ramp of Hadrian’s Mausoleum, a small room accessible just from a trapdoor, and another one in the floor was used to get rid of corpses.
The Castel Sant’Angelo has also inspired several writers and directors, for example, Dan Brown mentions the Castle in his best seller “Angels and Demons”
You’ll climb to the top of the building to the terrace, where you’ll enjoy stunning views of the Rome and a great place for selfies
During the visit you will see:
- Emperor Adrian's tomb
- Popish apartments and bastion
- Michelangelo's courtyard
- An amazing panoramic view from the terrace
- Castel Sant'Angelo bridge and so much more!
- Skip-the-line entrance fees
- Headsets for groups more than 8 people
- Professional art historian guide
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Children (aged 3-15)
- Infants (aged 0-2) : Free
Lungotevere Castello n°50 - 00193 Roma
Meet your guide at the main entrance to Castel Sant'Angelo.
- Dress code is smart casual
- A minimum of 2 adults per booking is required
- Maximum group size of 15 people
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Tour is not wheelchair accessible
- Maximum group size of 15 people
- Monday to Saturdays at 5.00pm
- Please arrive 15 minutes before the tour starts
Embrace la dolce vita on an evening cruise boat while dining over a gourmet 4-course meal. Step on b...
Discover the "Domus", which belonged to the most noble and powerful families of Ancient Rome. Thanks...
Enjoy one of the most important art collections in the world and the masterpieces inside St Peter’s ...
Walk through history on a guided visit to the Colosseum, the main symbol of the ancient Roman times,...
You have not truly seen Rome until you have experienced it at night! The monuments are completely tr...
Begin the tour in the city center; get your bikes, meet your professional guide and start riding aro...